This is a full-time, hourly position. Position reports to the Battalion Chief, or designee. Patient care work in rendering advanced pre-hospital life support functions, other emergency care, and rescue services. Duties include the operation and maintenance of the ambulance.
- Provides Basic Life Support (BLS) care in compliance with Florida Statutes Florida Statutes / Laws / Rules and as according to the established County EMS Procedures Manual and applicable protocols and Standing Orders, to persons in need of medical attention.
- Responds to emergency and non-emergency calls to provide care to victims of illness or injury.
- Treats patients according to the standards set forth in Florida Statutes / Laws / Rules and County Standard Operating Procedures manual.
- Cooperates with other personnel assigned to rescue unit as a team.
- Insures that proper and accurate records and reports are kept, as required by established rules and procedures.
- Is responsible for the stocking of supplies, inventory, and the cleaning of apparatus, equipment, and the station.
- Insures that all equipment is functioning properly in order that the rescue unit is always available to respond to a call.
- Completes daily inventory according to established procedures.
- Maintains rescue unit, keeps it clean and orderly, and in proper operating condition.
- May be required to assist with emergency support functions (ESF) in the EOC during emergencies or other related emergency duties.
(These essential job functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job related marginal duties as required.)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of first aid, cardio-pulmonary resuscitation, and the use of life sustaining equipment and practices.
- Knowledge of safety and comfort manners and methods in the handling and treatment of patients.
- Knowledge of Florida safety requirements and privileges when responding to non-emergency and emergency calls.
- Ability to remain current in all Standards of Care as dictated by the County EMS Standard Operating Procedures Manual.
- Ability to become familiar with the roadway/highway system within the County.
- Ability to work as a team.
- Ability to adhere to physician instructions, protocol and standing orders.
- Skill in defensive driving methods.
- Skill in operation of an emergency vehicle.
- Must have legible handwriting
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High school graduation or possession of an acceptable equivalency diploma.
(No amount of training and experience may be substituted for the minimum qualifications.)
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, OR REGISTRATIONS
- Ability to possess and maintain a valid Florida Driver's License as per Florida Law.
- Must maintain both Florida Paramedic certification and Advanced Cardiac Life Support certification.
- Certification of completion of a Florida approved E.V.O.C. or defensive driving course.
- Must maintain current Basic Cardiac Life Support, Advanced Life Support, and Basic Trauma Life Support (or equal) certifications.
- Must be approved by the EMS Medical Director to practice as a Paramedic.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL SKILLS
- As required by Florida EMT certification.
- Must successfully pass departmental lifting test and be physically able to perform the job duties.
- Emergency conditions.
- Outdoors in varying weather conditions.
(Reasonable accommodation will be made for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability or disabilities.)