Job announcement: Emergency Medical Technician – Basic, Intermediate, Advanced
Excelsior Ambulance Service; Lake City Division
SUMMARY: Excelsior Ambulance Service is accepting applications from qualified professionals to fill full time and part time openings within the Lake City Division. Excelsior operates as an ambulance provider for the Lake City, FL area.
This a non-supervisory position which specializes in emergency medical care of sick and injured people. This person works with other EMT’s or Paramedics and is under the supervision of the Regional Manager or designee. The Emergency Medical Technician responds to emergency and non-emergency ambulance calls to provide Basic Life Support (BLS) emergency medical care and assists in the delivery of Advanced Life Support (ALS) emergency medical care in accordance with the laws of Florida, EMS protocols, online medical direction, and in compliance with Company orders and policies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities –
- Conducts a careful examination of the patient for signs and symptoms of illness/injury and assists other medical personnel as necessary.
- Provides prompt and efficient care of the patient and stabilization of condition prior to transport.
- Provides careful handling of the patient in moving him to the ambulance vehicle.
- Provides safe and efficient transport of the patient while constantly monitoring the patient and providing any appropriate continuing care within the limits of license and certification.
- Provides orderly transfer of the patient to destination.
- Upon arrival at destination with patient, responsible for cleaning, restocking basic supplies and placing the unit back in service as soon as possible.
- When necessary, in the absence of other qualified rescuers and within limits of your training, use procedures to gain access to and disentangle patients who require extrication.
- In the absence of other qualified personnel, controls the emergency scene, including parking the vehicle in such a way as to minimize further danger in the roadway as well as controlling the actions of bystanders.
- Obtains information regarding the emergency from dispatch, communicates other emergency services as needed during the call. In the absence of, or as directed by more qualified personnel, communicates with receiving hospitals regarding patient status. Must follow FCC with regard to communications by radio.
- Document activities with regard to patient care and billing completely to ensure appropriate information is available regarding each call.
- Will make daily checks of the vehicle equipment and systems and completes checkoff sheet and other reports/forms as required.
- Reports needed equipment and vehicle repairs to Field Supervisor.
- Responsible for precepting new employees and students/observers as directed.
- Respects and holds in confidence all information of a confidential nature obtained in the course of professional work unless required by law to divulge such information.
- Protects the public by not delegating to persons less qualified, any service which requires the professional competence of an EMT.
- Refuses to participate in unethical procedures and assumes the responsibility to expose incompetence or unethical conduct of others to the appropriate authority in a proper and professional manner.
Non-Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Physical Requirements- (Field Employees Only):
- Must be able to successfully pass Physical Agility Test
- Aptitudes required for work of this nature are good physical stamina, endurance, and body condition that would not be adversely affected by frequently having to walk, stand, lift, carry, and balance at times.
- Must be able to lift, drag, hoist, and carry different types of equipment and other objects.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Successful completion of approved EMT Basic, Intermediate, Advanced Program.
- Full time employees must be available for recall in times of crisis.
- Must be at least 21 years old.
- Must be currently certified Florida EMT (Basic, Intermediate, Advanced) NREMT preferred.
- Valid Florida drivers’ license and a driving record that meets the approval of Excelsior’s Auto Insurance Policy Carrier.
- Current adult and child CPR certification from AHA.
- Current PHTLS Certification (or within 1 year of hire).
- Current version of NIMS training IS-100, IS-200, IS-700, and IS-800 (or within 6 months of hire)
Other i.e. knowledge and skills:
- Maintains professional competence and demonstrates concern for the competence of other members of the EMS health care team.
- Ability to uphold standards of practice and education.
- Ability to adhere to standards of personal ethics, on and off duty, which reflect credit upon the profession.
- Must have full knowledge of the vehicle’s medical and non-medical equipment and its proper use within the scope of practice for EMT (Basic, Intermediate, Advanced).
- Does not use professional knowledge and skills in any enterprise detrimental to the Company or to the public well-being.
- Ability to respect and hold in confidence all information of a confidential nature obtained in the course of professional work unless required by law to divulge such information.
- Has good working knowledge of all company policies pertaining to this position.
- Good knowledge of common physical illnesses, obvious symptoms, and medical terminology.
Job Type: Part-time / Full-time